Sunday, January 28, 2018

THE EMERGENCY ROOM

I visited an old friend today at Winthrop University College Hospital, who recently had a by-pass operation. I have no idea whether it was a: double, triple, or single by-pass. What is important is that he survived it, and will live another day. He was sitting in his chair with a nice view out the 4th floor window and seemed in fairly good spirits.

As we chattered I noticed that the room has a toilet with a sign that says; "Toilet for patient use ONLY!" I must admit that once I read the sign, I immediately wanted to use it. This is in spite of the fact that as I arrived with my older sister (much older) Tessie, she left me at the information desk to go to the Ladies Room, telling me to get the directions to my friend's room and the passes. I was proud of myself because I didn't need to go after an hour's drive to Mineola.

But now suddenly it was becoming an issue, so as we left Tessie said she wanted to stop for a cup of coffee and so we did. Now I decided since it was lunch time, I would also have a cup of soup that was being offered by the cafeteria. Soup and coffee help the bladder to stay full and healthy. Conversation with Tessie helps the bladder seek attention. From the waist, down in the booth where we were sitting, I was doing a soft shoe, followed by a Bo Jangles repertoire with hand gestures.

I suggested that as we leave I find a men's room before I drive back, otherwise I would be standing on the seat as I was driving.

In the reception area was a sign that said: "TOILETS" and an arrow pointing in a direction. We follow the arrow but can't find the toilet, change course and look for another sign that says the same thing, which we follow that is leading us out the door. A policeman comes through the entrance and asks if he can help us.

"Yes, we are looking for the toilets!" This was an emergency.
"Oh, turn around and go to that doorway, it is the Emergency Room, and there you will find one."

Amazing, to think they would have the foresight to plant a toilet in the Emergency Room and here I had the emergency!

The end.

No comments: