Tuesday, July 30, 2019

THE NAZI

Ever since Seinfeld ran on TV the designation of Nazi has depicted professionals or workers who take their job too seriously and become overbearing in their dictates. If you recall or don’t know, the ‘Soup Nazi’ had sway over people who ordered a soup and if he didn’t like your tone, your attitude or your groveling it was: “NO SOUP FOR YOU!”

And so, I have since found that they exist everywhere, a gas station that had an attendant I called The Gas Nazi who had to be satisfied that you parked close enough to the gas pump, had your money ready and spoke distinctively to his Middle Eastern ears.

Then one year I went to my primary physician to correct a problem with my medication. As I walked up to the receptionist window, there in front of me sat this lady about four feet tall in her early sixties, cropped hair and an attitude that was rotting in the open air of the office. She asked me my business and I explained that the doctor’s office called my home to have me come down to clarify a form for a medication.

The Receptionist Nazi: “When did you receive this notice?”

Me: “I don’t recall if it was Thursday or Friday.”

The Receptionist Nazi: “WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON’T RECALL!!!???

Being the cultured even-tempered gentleman I am I replied:
DON’T YOU YELL AT ME!”

She immediately buried her head in the file on her desk and said nothing, but from then on we tangoed around each other whenever we were in the same room. That day she was filling in for the regular receptionist and must have felt that working behind that desk gave her certain powers of abuse of patients and men of good standing. As the years went by this cold relationship existed as we avoided each other.

Then, today came and I had to visit the doctor again for my usual 3-month checkup.

As I entered the office, there she was, The Receptionist Nazi! She looked up and swallowed hard while I looked down not sure if she was sitting of standing and faced her square and true.

The Receptionist Nazi: “Good morning! How can I help you?” A smile radiated from her face, eyes pleading not to make this a scene. Very casually I gave her my answer and sat down. I had tamed The Receptionist Nazi!

The sweetness was over-flowing, the past tension easing as a steam pipe from my old heating system. We were fast becoming best buds! An almost new found love was building, causing me to remind myself to speak to the doctor about this sudden sense of upheaval from deep in the pit of my stomach.

No comments: