Thursday, May 18, 2006

CLARABELL IS DEAD


Today is a very sad day in my life. Another chapter in my childhood is permanently closed. The glad days of yesteryear are gone. First Buffalo Bob Smith, now Clarabell, who next, Mr. Bluster??

Clarabell was a clown. Not just any clown, but a clown with style all his own. Clarabell was the epitome of what clowning is all about. If someone calls you a bozo, you are a loser, because Bozo the clown was a cheap imitation of Clarabell. If I call you Clarabell, you really know how to clown around. You are innovative, even funny in a funny kind of way! Clarabell would answer with his single “Honk” of a horn on his box, “Yes”, and would answer a double “Honk – Honk” “No” with his other horn.

Along with Hoody Doody and Buffalo Bob Smith, and a whole cast of characters among them being Trapper Pierre, played by Robert Goulet, my weekday afternoons about 4 or 5 o’clock where spent waiting for the antics of Clarabell. Yes Clarabell was a teacher. He taught me how to salt my sister’s sandwich when she wasn’t looking. He taught me about pies in the face, and how to make mischief when all was serene.

Every afternoon the show started:

It's Howdy Doody time,
It's Howdy Doody time,
Bob Smith and Howdy Doo
Say Howdy Doo to you.
Lets give a rousing cheer,
'Cause Howdy Doody's here.
It's time to start the show,
So kids, let's go!

And so no longer will I be able to sing those lyrics.
The smile that graced my lips is forever dormant; I will go through the rest of my life, without Clarabell.

Will he be missed?
Honk

Will there ever be another?
Honk – Honk.

No comments: