Monday, May 15, 2006

MY PAL JOEY

There is a little corner of joy in my life now. I found it, or should I say the Little Woman found it for me. This is a sacred hallowed piece of mortar and brick. Yes, it houses food. But just not any food, it houses Italian specialty items. These items are definite links to my childhood. Items of which I speak have a special meaning to me. It reminds me of times and places I visited just yesterday when I was still a child. (If you ask the Little Woman she will tell you nothing has changed.) The name of this place is called Iasenga’s Italian American (They sell sauerkraut) Pork Store & Catering.

The smells of things like fresh Italian basil reminds me of my Grandmother’s kitchen on a Sunday morning, while she cooked for forty million relatives, and still remembered to give me a meatball to taste for her. Her fridge was always stocked with fine salami and cheese, all imported, and when you ate it, the smells would make you wonder if you had changed your clothes or taken a shower in the past month or so. Her pasta ( we called it macaroni) boiling in a pot, dishes flying across the table and landing at the exact spot it was intended for, her vegetables frying up in a sauce pan or skillet as she spoke her Italian with sharp orders for both daughters and daughter-inlaws in executing her culinary triumphs for the day.

This Mecca of culinary happiness is located around the corner from me, and can be reached during store hours almost immediately in case of an emergency. It is run by a fellow named - Joey. Joey has been testing his stock, and recipes for years. Joey stands at 4’9” and when he lies on his back he is 4’9”. If Joey were to do cartwheels he would be 4’9” at any given point. He and I along with the Little Woman planned out the menu for my son Michael’s High School graduation party. Joey is a nice fellow trying to make a living, and by God I will help him do so. We talked trays and half trays, and rolls and such, and I must say I had a great time! “We don’t use junk, we use the good stuff” said Joey. Spoken like a champion I say. Joey will even deliver the goodies to my house on the day of the party! HoBoy!!

Joey is now my new close and personal best friend. I hope you make him your best friend too, and invite me over once in a while to eat.

No comments: