Sunday, May 07, 2006

SHOPPING FOR MULTINATIONAL CATERERS

June 24th is the big high school graduation party for Michael, my youngest son. There will be about 50 people invited. Unfortunately there will be no bride present, where I could kill 2 birds with one party. Since there are about 50 people, there needs to be food to feed them with. The little woman and I will select from different types of menus, and hopefully there will be variations in the menu that will be not the usual fare, but new and different goodies.

Thinking about all this food makes me realize how my family has grown from the 5 of us, in which 4 started out in Brooklyn, in a very narrow Italian environment, to a multi cultural mix of all the people I truly love. Now we have Italian, Irish, Polish, Black, Vietnamese, English and Japanese among others that constitute the make up of the family. It is a great mix, and I realize how good it is to see them all.

We have become the true “American Family.” Do you realize that not one individual would I replace! Not one, would I like not to see at the party? We have them by adoption and birth. Marriage has been good to us for the most part. Now here is the kicker, I love my in-laws as well as my own family, and consider them all worthwhile and important to the structure of the personality of the family as a whole.

Now if you take my brother-law John, who was the first to join the family, and make it six, a Polish fellow with great tolerance of his being Polish and being teased about it, you realize that we have made a very long stride. Right away he hit it off with my family. After a mild sedation of my father when we told him that John is Polish, Dad immediately took to him. He cleared it with my grandmother, and after a mild sedation she said “HoKay, Johnsa nica boy.” I’m sure once my sedative wear off I’ll still be “HoKay” with it too, after all its been 41 years!

No comments: