Tuesday, June 24, 2008

DAD, COOPERSTOWN AND FRAULEIN HILDA


Over 20 years ago, me, #1 Son and my Dad decided to take a trip to Cooperstown, New York. It was in November of 1987 and the weather was getting cold and dreary. TLW (The Little Woman) was pregnant to #2 Son, and didn’t want to come. It was a “Boys weekend out.”

Dad had never been to Cooperstown, and I thought that since he taught me to love baseball, I would do this for him and #1 Son. So very early in the morning, before sunrise (There wasn’t any that day), we took off.

Traveling upstate in New York can be a boring ride, with nothing but highway on a cloudy day. #1 Son, a very sophisticated baseball fan, He knew more than me even then, was excited, although he had been there before.

After traveling all day, we checked into our hotel in the late afternoon, rested up and decided to go to dinner. We found this German restaurant along the main route and went inside. Greeting us was this very husky, tall blond with braids. “Stay here until I come to collect you.” Her orders stated. Half the place was empty and shut off. It was off-season for the baseball world, so tourism was nil, except for us.

Dad being an adventuresome fellow decided to “look around” and wandered off. There he was, across this large expanse of restaurant, deep in the hinterland of German Cuisine. There stood #1 Son and I, where we were supposed to be, following orders.



Suddenly, out of nowhere appears Fraulein Hilda, stopping short, menus under her arm-pits, hands on hips, legs spread apart. “Vot are hue doing dere?” “Hi said to sctay here!”

Rushing back, Dad had the sheepish grin I had ever seen him wear. And there were occasions for sheepish grins. One was the time he supposedly quit smoking, and was lecturing everyone about quitting. One Sunday I go over his house for dinner. “Dad, do you have a light?” He whips out a cigarette lighter, and lights my cigarette. Sheepish look, indeed.

TOMORROW: Williamsburg and Cooperstown revisited.

Wish the sheep were in wolf’s clothing, so you could send them to this Blogger? Then write to: joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com. Tell him: I’ll huff and I’ll puff and I’ll blow your blog down!”

No comments: