Saturday, June 07, 2008

WHAT I OWE

Yesterday was June 6, 2008. It was 64 years ago that a lot of brave men died on the beaches of Normandy. They were asked to do something that was very hard, very frightening, and very dangerous. They were asked to expose themselves for a while under withering enemy fire, and take a beach. They started out as boys, but ended up men.

These guys for the most part were only 19 or 20. That is not much of a lifetime, to want to sacrifice it. They were asked not only by their government, their countrymen and the world, but also most importantly by their families, to uphold freedom and a way of life. What they did was remarkable. I owe them much.

Every time I see a man who has served in combat, I thank God for his willingness and his being. When I am under pressure on a beach, it is because the parking is bad, or there is sand in my swim trunk, or in my food. Not because I witnessed a man die, or burn or become crippled for life! My God, what a sacrifice! They don’t often talk about their ordeal; it is too horrible for them to do so. It brings back memories of comrades that fell, gallantly and without even knowing a short life! They felt the fear, put it aside and did what was asked of them.

DelBloggolo is nothing but an attempt to amuse the writer, and hopefully, sometimes the reader. You must all have or know someone who has served in combat, who might have given his or her life, or a limb or a part of what we take for granted. If you see one, tell him: “Thanks” from me, because of them, I am free to express my opinions.

I wish old men would not make young men fight. I wish we could be without borders, and inherit the whole Earth. There are too many children out there, hungry, starving, maimed, and looking for their parents. Some may be stolen children, enslaved or force into hard labor. We have to learn how to stop it. We have to learn how to lay down armaments and raise our hands in peace.

There is also another side. The side that says; “I don’t want to fight! I don’t believe in killing.” These people are not cowards. Many of them suffer the consequences of their unwillingness to fight. Many are bravely saying, “I don’t support war, I don’t want anybody to die.” I think we owe them a thanks and gratitude also. They make us aware of just how unmoral we all can be in time of war.

Should we be attacked by a foreign power, of course we should defend ourselves. But let’s not beat war drums, parade the colors and glorify the misery we will cause, instead, lets become sober about the children we will endanger or kill, the innocent women and children, and yes, the men who fight these wars and die.

No one wins a war. If we lose one person in war, we lose. How do we justify killing in the name of God? Does God exist when we war? Does he turn his back when we claim righteousness in his name? How do we tell our children that we are prepared to send them off to kill and be killed?

Oh, I know that we’ve been attacked. I know we have had to fight. I know we will fight again, but when will we ever learn?

I owe all I have to those brave men and women who died in combat. I owe my conscience to those that oppose war on real moral grounds. Someday we may learn to fuse both morality and bravery, not for just this country, but for all, and for all time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Well Said.