Tuesday, October 28, 2008

STRANGE SOUNDS

It was the middle of the night, actually more like 3:00 A.M., and I was awakened by TLW (The Little Woman). I figured the mutt wanted out again, and as I arose, I noticed the lights on and TLW in an upright position at the foot of the bed.

“What’s wrong?” I trembled as I asked.

“There is a strange noise in the house, put on your hearing aids.

I did, and sure enough, there WAS a strange noise in the house. I was about to decide if I wanted to go back to sleep or investigate, took one look at TLW and decided to get up. We led with our ears, she with her left and me with my right. We followed the noise down the steps to the main floor. There are three floors in my house, so it could be coming from anywhere.

The noise sounded very motor like or mechanical to me. I thought maybe MMB (My Man Bill) next door was using his blower or another piece of equipment. Bill loves to work around his house but I couldn’t imagine him doing it at that hour.

Down we go to the basement door. We both stick our ears against it, looking into each other’s eyes. (They are still beautiful at 3:00 A.M.!) The noise was coming from the basement! It is dark down there. What could it be? I put on the lights. Down we go, me first and head to the boiler. It is making a racket now, and it sounds like it will blow. I open the door to the boiler, and TLW says: “What is it?”

Sometimes, TLW will ask a timely question, this was one of them. I gave her a timely, well thought out answer that went like this:

“I don’t know!”

I decided to go upstairs and go into the bathroom and turn on the water. Maybe there was air in the pipes. Instead, I make a left and go into the kitchen and turn on the tap. As it is running I go back downstairs and ask, while I hear a new noise: “What happened?” TLW responds: “It sounds a little better!”

Just then, we both have a moment of inspiration, like the time when the Holy Spirit smacked the twelve Apostles in their heads with inspiration in that room they were in.

Up we both go to the down stairs toilet (?) and TLW knocks on the closed door.

“MICHAEL! ARE YOU IN THERE?’

Hardly audible “Yes”

“Will you close the tap and GO TO BED!”
AMEN.

Please remember my pals, Joan and Anita.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe, I laughed, your story reminded me of when I was growing up. In the middle of the night, we heard a noise, my father and our dog Tiger, a mutt about 45lbs, went to the top of the stairs. My Dad told Tiger to go downstairs & check it out, but he wouldn't go down until my Father went down first! Some watch dog. Ended up the front storm door wasn't latched and was blowin' in the wind. Hope your furnace is ok!

jan/PCH