Saturday, December 13, 2008

HOW SWEET IT IS…

To be retired!

The other day I was in the supermarket on my way to an appointment, where I had some time to kill. Purchasing only the one item I needed for dinner that night, I got on the checkout line. A nice woman was in line ahead of me, and offered to let me go first. I declined. The checkout woman said that there was an express checkout available for 10 items or less, but again I declined. I stopped at a stop light, and a woman pulled up next to me on the right and asked me if I would let her get ahead of me. I said OK, and when the light changed, I did let her in front of me. Then today, stopping at the Post Office to buy three books of stamps, (I’m starting a postal library), a man offered to let me ahead of him, because he had to have a long conversation with the clerk behind the counter. I suggested that he need not do that and thanked him, but he insisted.

What is happening? I am contented to take my time. I no longer am in a need to rush! I don’t care if I am late, (unless a cocktail hour is involved), and I don’t even wear a watch! Life is good. I move about freely, nap when I want to, if I want to. I can sleep as long as I wish, and the only time I am disturbed is when TLW (The Little Woman) checks to see if she is a widow yet.

I read a book, a newspaper, do a puzzle, write, draw or paint and just enjoy the quiet now. If #1 son is arriving at 6:30 am from California, it is no problem, I just jack up the sleep mode the day or night before, and I’m bright eyed and bushy tailed to go to Kennedy airport to pick him up!

If I catch a cold, there is no problem. I just get better quicker because I take better care of myself. So retirement is good.

Please remember my pals Joan and DD, and all those who need our prayers.

No comments: