Thursday, July 30, 2009

MERRY CHRISTMAS!


It’s official. I got the news in a catalog. The Holidays are upon us, yes, Christmas, New Year’s and Chanukah, have bypassed Halloween and Thanksgiving!

My mail contained a holiday catalog in July. What are they kidding me? I haven’t even gone into my pool yet, and they are bugging me about what I should spend my money on this year, one that is barely half way toward Christmas.

I suspect by August 15th, we should be seeing some Christmas decorations; cards and wrapping paper go on sale in the stores.

As I sit here in my air-conditioned den, typing this, I find it very hard to get excited for the holidays. Yet, this is exactly what happened to me year after year when I worked. This is the time of year when people plan catalogs and mailing for the holidays. As a designer, you have to put yourself into the mood for snow, cold and ice, Christmas trees, and decorations that convey the holiday spirit, one in which you are not in!

So I have to wonder, are the catalogs I get in July planned the day after Christmas or New Year’s Day? If not, how well executed are they?

Every year I seem to think that the season is upon us earlier than the last. This year is a ‘no kidding’ year! This is the earliest I’ve gotten Christmas catalogs. I expect one day, soon, we will be buying our Easter and Holiday cards together. So don’t Passover Easter, and may you have a very merry Chanukah kind of Christmas?

Please remember all those that need our hopes and prayers, including my brother-in-law, John.

No comments: