Monday, July 13, 2009

MAN, IT’S THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS!

Every now and then, about once a month or more, I hear from or call my good buddy Phil. MGBP, and I have known each other since 1965, that’s 44 years as best friends! It is one of the true treasures in life to have a best friend, let alone for over 40 years!

Phil and I met in January of ’65 at the New York Institute of Technology. He is my daughter’s godfather, and I am his daughter’s godfather. He was my best man, and I was his. When my son passed on, he was there, and when his daughter passed on, I was there for him. This is how it goes, always. He could be in California or Florida, if he needs me, I am there for him, and I know he is always there for me.

He and I are lucky, we have married wonderful women, and if you have ever met them, you would understand. Linda has been around Phil, encouraging him, giving him a happy life that he richly deserves. Phil has always cared about people, treats my mother like his, and always will ask how she is, sending her cards and whatnot.

When we were single guys living at home, he used to come to my house for our Christmas Eve dinner of seven fishes. Being he is Jewish, I would go out into the woods and cut down a small pine tree, and put up a Star of David at the top in his honor. He would come into the house, and like any member of the family, fall right in and eat and drink! Life was good!

Recently he warned me to be alert for a package in the mail. He said it was not a big deal, just a little something. It came the other day, and maybe it wasn’t a big deal to him, but to me it was a treasure! It was a coffee mug with my mug on it, and what really made me happy, was a mouse pad, with a picture of him and I when we were just young guys in our twenties! In it I am mugging for the camera, and he is trying to make me look even sillier. I don’t want to use it for fear of wearing it out! That is how much I love the pad!

We have had some great times together in our college years, then again when we married, always laughing, wise-cracking with each other, and physically torturing each other. But we always looked out for each other, because we love each other as brothers. We both know that life is short, so we live it up.

Please remember all those that need our hopes and prayers, including my brother-in-law, John.

No comments: