Saturday, July 18, 2009

OWW, OHH, UHH, IS THAT YOU OR ME?

TLW (The Little Woman) and I are feeling the effects of age. Years ago, when TLW was pregnant, I feared sympathy pains, and maybe even symptoms that she had! Now it is a little different. No, she is not pregnant, but neither am I! Just hurting from the process of getting older, is confusing us!

One day last week, while we were watching the TV, one of us made a noise, “ OWWW!” since we were both in a twilight state, I wasn’t sure who it was! I looked at her, she looked at me, and we decided at least one of us DID make the noise, which spoke for both of us. We spend our evening comparing aches and pains, and we seem to have the same ones.

Dinner has become a dwindling event! Yes, that thing I hold dear to my heart, which resides in my stomach, has become somewhat of a chore! I can only eat a part of what I used to devour, and wind up saving it for another meal. Leftovers were unheard of years ago, now they are welcomed, I don’t have to cook!

We both start to pray that bedtime will come quickly, so we can “get comfortable.” Bedtime is any time after 9:00 PM. That makes it official. If we go to bed any sooner, we feel like old fogies, and that it is too early. Once the magic time was 10:00 PM, and I can even remember 11:00 PM!

I think the problem lies in the fact that we just stop after dinner, sit and let the TV take over. I’ve tried reading after dinner. But distractions make that a burden. The dopey dog needs to go out, the garbage cans have to go to the front, etc. I would like to go out, maybe visit people or go to a movie, but TLW won’t buy that. Of course, I don’t want to go out alone, so I nestle in and fight sleep.

I was thinking, maybe I need to start smoking, drinking and eating like I used to, you know, get back into shape! Yes, that would give me the impetus to withstand the later hours, since I would have something to live for! You know, there ARE people like that that live into their 90’s and 100’s!

But I look at TLW, and I am reminded of that old thought: “Come grow old with me, the best is yet to be!” So, I will lean back in my recliner, and make strange noises, or is it her who makes them?

Please remember all those that need our hopes and prayers, including my brother-in-law, John.

2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Love the blog Joe, especially the picture. Growing old ain't no fun, but as the saying goes, it sure beats the alternative.

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Thanks, Jim. How is it that growing old happens without even noticing it, until it's too late?