Thursday, July 23, 2009

SCHLEPPING WITH HAPPINESS


Or, How I find Happiness While Getting Wet!

It is early in the morning of my big day. The rain is coming down in buckets, but that will not deter me from my mission: Registering #2 Son with the college that is far enough away to give TLW (The Little Woman) and me some quiet days.

Heading toward SUNY at Purchase, is a big event for me. In the car along the Long Island Expressway, I sing patriotic marching songs to myself, say thankful prayers to; God, Jesus and Mohammed, and single out the Pope and Dali Lama for special considerations, along with all the Rabbis and preachers there are. After all, they bring a message of hope, and registering #2 Son with the college, which will require some effort on his part to get home, is the plan.

Now, originally, I had hoped for his attending Tokyo University, (Go swallows!) or the University of Beijing, (Go Red Dragons!), but will settle for Purchase. As we drive, we hit a snag, congestion from Glen Cove Road to the Cross Island Parkway! I suck it in and think of the greater cause, the day I will deliver his stuff to his dorm room! Oh, happy days!

Lefty is sitting in his seat, the earplugs to his Ipod stuck in both left ears, and not a comment out of him! It may be a monumental traffic jam, but I am enjoying the silence! Yes, soon, he and I will drive up with a carload filled with his stuff, and my happiness! Oh, glory days!

We break out of the jam, get on the Cross Island parkway and sail up to Purchase.

Me: “Now who do you have to see?”

Him: “I don’t know.”

Me: “You don’t know?! Well, where do we have to go?””

Him: “I don’t know.”

Me: “Well, let’s look for the Administration building. Here’s the map I downloaded, see if you can direct me to the building.”

I point to where we are, and he looks and says:

“I can’t.”

I think, just a short few weeks to go.

He adds, “But before you park and go into the building, I have to go to the rest room.”

I assure him he is not alone in that sentiment.

We park the car and look around. We are in a parking lot, with nothing visible! Suddenly from the trees appear three men who must be instructors. I ask where the Administration building is, and they direct us.

Into this beautiful old and quaint building we go. I notice a desk where this young lady is sitting. I tell her our business, and she looks perplexed. I ask her where the registrar’s office is, and she pulls out the same map as the one I downloaded. She looks at it and is confused. SHE CAN’T MAKE OUT THE MAP! SHE IS SUPPOSED TO DIRECT US!

I help her, and she thanks me for the help and says: The building is right in front of a big tower with a clock. Go across to the main road, make a left at the Starbucks and keep going. We use the rest rooms and leave.

As we leave the office, I say to #2 Son: “Did you get all that?

#2 Son: No, I had to go to the toilet, I thought you got it!”

Just a few short weeks, just a few.

Please remember all those that need our hopes and prayers, including my brother-in-law, John.

No comments: