Wednesday, April 20, 2011

SPRING BREAK, AL-QAEDA AND ERROL FLYNN





It’s that time of the year, (March 25) when the colleges let out for spring break, and all the kids have to vacate their dorms for a week. The idea is that spring is here, so take a week and go smell the flowers. Well, I got news for them, it’s still friggin winter, THERE ARE NO FLOWERS YET, GO BACK TO CLASS! It is also the same week that coincides (Rhymes with suicides) with spring cleaning is just about to begin, just wait for aforementioned kids going back to school AFTER spring break.

Every time I go up to visit #2 Son to bring him home, it is like entering a room occupied by Al-Qaeda, you want to cautiously enter, you are afraid, very afraid of what you might find!

As I enter the apartment, I look around and ask: “Wow, the tsunami reached this far!”

“Yeah, the tsunami reached this far, whenever you are ready we can go.”

Getting home is like a two stage booster rocket: first stage begins with this conversation.

Me: “So, how is the semester going?”

#2 Son: “Great, love all my courses, except for fencing, it’s an elective I had to take one, so I choose that. Did Mom tell you what happened to me with the instructor?”

Me: “You mean about going easy?”

#2 Son: “Yes, he said if we team up with a girl, we should go easy! The chauvinist!
I mentioned it to him after class, and he said that it is a traditional men’s sport, women have never fenced before!”

Not wishing to get into any discussion that would require my thinking with a long drive ahead of me, as I passed the first of the many exits on the Hutch, I asked instead: “So, are you taking the Errol Flynn course of fencing?

“Errol Flynn? I guess, I never heard of him.”

“By the way, do they have a ‘History of the cinema’ you could take instead of fencing?”

Stage 2 of the trip: he leans back on his seat and falls asleep. Apparently he is starting his spring break on the road!

2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Never argue with a woman holding a sword. You could wind up starring in the remake of "The Sopranos."

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

or Lorrainer Bobbett comes to town!