Thursday, July 14, 2011

BASTILLE DAY

Today is ‘Bastille Day’ in France, where a bunch of unhappy pastry chefs, all named Louis stormed a fortress and demanded a new tennis court or something. Well, that’s what my history teacher said so many years ago. He could be wrong, after all he said it so long ago! “So what?” you say! “Who cares, DelBloggolo, I thought you might have something to say for a change!”



Well don’t get your unmentionables all bunched up, because Bastille Day is supposed to be just like the Fourth of July. I was going to mention it to #2 Son, but was afraid that he might not know what Bastille Day was. I am afraid to talk to him about anything prior to 1995, when the Internet took over all our lives. I already mentioned Errol Flynn to him, and he asked who’s that? My nephew the Macaroni Man has often questioned people and events I thought for sure that generation should know, but don’t. These are intelligent people that are being dulled by modern technology. It is not their fault; it is the fault of all of us, including me.



I include myself in this because, here I am complaining, but I don’t write this in long hand (a dying art) I don’t even write this on a typewriter, (Does anyone own one let alone use it?), and then put the blog up. It is called convenience, and frankly, the art and style of living is diminishing and becoming unimportant to all of us. Our immediate environment is not as important as our desktop is. I recall when I had to clear off my desktop, by removing paper, paper clips, erasers, books, coffee cups and folders of work. Now a clean desktop is removing electronic icons! We have become so tunneled into looking at a screen; we don’t have peripheral vision anymore, and don’t care to!

There was a company once that produced “Fine leather bound books” with gilded edging, beautiful illustrations, that included classic type styles, books that one would put on their coffee table or in their library and think of the book as an object worthy of calling art. Where has that slice of life gone? It is called a ‘Kindle’.



A simple thing like a telephone seems to be disappearing, going the way of the book. No longer do we have phones that are connected to a phone pole, a good thing, now we don’t even have a phone on our walls or coffee tables! Now we keep our phones in our pockets and pocket books, as they play out some obnoxious noise to disturb people and take their attention away from their own little electronic world. I recall people buying phones for their homes that fit in with their décor. You bought a phone as part of your decoration scheme in a room!





Once people would look where they were going. You know, have your head up, looking both ways as you crossed a street or climbed a staircase? Now they stare into the little screen, and glide their index finger up or down or sideways, oblivious to what is about them. I think somehow that is rude. I see it in theatres, and churches, I see them on the highways and streets, sometimes in the middle of streets!

Are we losing our skills and fine-motor abilities? Will we lose our pincer-grasps and ability to spell out words? Will we eventually stop speaking?

2 comments:

Princess Pat said...

Personally I think we are going back
in time because whenever I speak to
someone who is on their hand held
device, all I get is grunts. Back
to the cave men time.

Jim Pantaleno said...

Technology has been a mixed blessing to be sure. I'll bet people felt the same way when the telegraph and the radio changed American lives forever. Our ancestors survived and I'm sure we will too. Happy Bastille Day, Joseph.