Saturday, July 30, 2011

A MOUSE WITHOUT A COMPUTER!

If there is one job I hate, it is cleaning out the basket for the filter of the pool. I have a nice size pool that although it is not Olympic in size, it is a good size. Like a wife or a car though, it does need maintenance, and so I go out to inspect and replenish the chemicals that I swim in.

I usually get a bunch of leaves and small twigs and sometimes even a bird.

One year I found a small bird that was still alive, but just barely. I decided to take it out and see if it could fly, and because it was so water-logged it couldn’t, I took it to the side of the pool and placed it under my snorkel mask to allow the sun to dry it out a bit, I got it some bread and fed it, and left it alone but watched it. Sure enough it dried out and took off! I was a hero, even though it was to myself.


Then there was the day I caught a rat in the pool, no, not a politician, a real sincere rat. (See my blogue: Saturday, July 24, 2010, R.I.P.)

My epic battle was one for the books as you read it. (Make sure you read he comment by Jimmy ‘Pants’ Jim Pantaleno.)

So, I go out to the filters and open it up, sure enough it is stuffed. But all I see are little claws and pink bloated bodies. Now I think there must be about 3 or 4 in there and how do I get them out without touching them? I look around and find a food plate made of aluminum. I punch a few holes in the bottom towards the edges and fold it somewhat so it fits into the trap and can scoop them out, Sure enough there are 4 mice and not one lousy computer! I scoop and head for the next trap, open it up and sure enough, there floats the rest of the paisanos! A couple of more float, this must have been a migrating clan, out for a day at the pool!

The difference from the others were that these were very tiny!

I often wonder if I’ll ever find an elephant in the darn pool. (No fat jokes about me, please.)

1 comment:

xlpharmacy said...

That is just disgusting, I hate when rats or little mice are in the pool filters, I usually empty the pool and fill it again, I just hate rodents, specially rats.