Wednesday, July 06, 2011

A TOAST TO THE NEWLY WEDS








Below is my toast to the newly weds. The day was special for many reasons, and you will see some photos: love for a son in his mother’s eyes and love for a daughter in her father’s eyes. http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=250779151605330&comments
But you will also see the eyes of all who attended, some from far away California, and all over the country for these two wonderful people.

I spoke with many of those who attended, asking how they knew the couple, and thanked them for coming so far to celebrate this occasion. They each had something to tell me about the couple, they all said the same thing, how great a person they each were.

Courtney should be singled out for the great job she did. Already I m so proud of them, and the day she planned made both Ellen and I proud and elated that she is part of us. We will both love her, as I am sure Michael does too. I know my beautiful sisters, my mother and relatives will love her as much as they love Anthony.

http://vimeo.com/26030828


Here is my toast:

First I want to thank you both; Courtney and Anthony for allowing me this moment. I have thought of this special day and this moment for a long time.

It is not traditional that the father of the groom gets to say anything at the wedding day. But this is a special day for your mom and me too, because of you two special people. It is not often that parents will look up to their son, and think of him as we do you. You have given us a treasure trove of special and happy memories, some not so happy, but never were any of the memories you gave us, angry.

Anthony, all your life you have made us proud, you have done things that were unselfish, sharing your childhood for a sister with special needs, for parents that struggled with the a loss of your sibling, but you never asked for anything but to be helpful, loving and understanding, and yes, even trying to be perfect for our sake. Once again you have succeeded.

With that spirit, I know you bring into this family someone so very special, someone who is already assimilated into our large family. Courtney you are now considered a daughter, a sister, a niece, grandchild; not an in-law. That is the way we are, that is the way it ought to be.

Remember to build your dreams together, because dreams will give you hope and reason to live and look for tomorrow.

And so first, I toast you both: as one, may your lives entwine, may your souls be one and your hearts dedicated to each other only. Long life: forever love, and always love and live for each other only.

Secondly, I toast my wife, for giving me such a wonderful son, and because of her good influence, a new and beautiful daughter, named Courtney.



Happy Birthday to an extremely handsome young man I know named Stephen O'Hara! You look terrific for your age!

3 comments:

Carol said...

Such beautiful and handsome people. Everything looked lovely. The cake was unique. Love the picture of the newlyweds.

Fran said...

Great pictures o the newly weds! The wedding was wonderful.
Also, Happy Birthday Joe! You don't look a day over 70!

Laura ESL Teacher said...

Love the whole Mad Men theme and the cake! Looks like a lot of fun and I ma happy for you all!