Saturday, March 24, 2012

GIVE US OUR DAILY BREAD, PLEASE?


Philadelphia will not go away that easy. No, there are things I wish to say about Philadelphia.

Don’t go there if you expect to have a decent meal. All they serve in Philadelphia is hamburgers and French fries, or anything with a batter that they can deep fry or grill. I know because I spent a whole Sunday afternoon looking for an Italian restaurant that was open for dinner. What I found is they are all closed on Sunday, if they are open they sell pizza, and if one does do a dinner, it is either no liquored or no credit cards. One place was actually featured, a great menu and rave reviews, open on Sundays and Italian, unfortunately the owner had just been arrested and was spending his Sunday afternoon incarcerated!

One place we went to for dinner had an unusual policy, as I ordered mussels for an appetizer. They gave me one piece of bread, a thin slice of rosemary-flavored bread. They also gave me a card after dinner to tell them how I felt about things. J Indeed!

We did find an interesting idea for a café, bruscetta and wine or beer and cheese tasting place called Tria. The reason I choose the place for a light lunch of wine and cheese was that it is my Mother’s maiden name. On a corner in Philadelphia’s Rettenhouse Square district we found it sitting busy with a table outdoors and a crowd inside. It was a fun way to spend a few minutes before we were off to do something else.

It seems that after 5:00 pm, they close the city. Yes, you can walk in the park and still get a burger and fries, but they really close the city. Someone takes down the traffic light so it doesn’t get stolen over night, and a little cleaning lady comes out and cleans. Even the pigeons are rented from New Jersey daily and returned for the evening.

So if you plan to go to Philadelphia, bring a dinner, and an escape plan to get out. You don’t want to be lost in Philadelphia. It has a lot of beggars, and there are warnings about locking your car doors and not leaving valuables in them all over the city!

Tomorrow: We go to jail in Philadelphia!


2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

I think you unfairly disparaged the city of brotherly love. My son lives there and finds it a delight. My visits too have shown it to have great things to offer including many restaurants open all the time. There are areas to avoid for sure, but that goes for all major cities. Next time you visit I'll have Matt recommend some places to eat Italian.

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

I stand by what I experienced.