Monday, March 19, 2012

LUNCH

Dom, Me, Pete

There is nothing better than to see old friends and enjoy the days gone by once again. To see people from long ago and remember the things I said and did. The other day I had lunch with two old cronies from way back in the business world, and it was like seeing lost brothers. Two really great guys who, if you know them you are glad you do, a lot of laughs and we can relate to each other and the same things.

One fellow is named Pete, who currently still plies his art, that of a photographer, www.petersanchiricophotography.com who has worked for a number of large companies, such as Doubleday and Publishers Clearing House. Pete and I worked together on a few projects, and he never disappointed my company or me.

The other gentleman is named Dominick. Dominick I had the pleasure of working with in the late 90’s when he assisted me by assembling my finished designs and creating a prototype of what things would look like. He retired a production manager at the end of his career. When I called him after 13 years it went like this:

“Hello”
“Hello, Dominick?”
“Yeah?”
“It’s been 13 years, when the hell are my comps going to be ready?”

There was a long pause, then a laugh of recognition as he asked me
“Joe, how the hell are you?”

These two guys put some of the highlights to my career that would not be there otherwise. They are earthy souls, the kind of people that don’t bother with or care for, yet respect protocol. They are good people, my kind of people. They make me laugh and are interesting people.

Pete and Dom as I call him, are like a husband and wife team, bickering, teasing and correcting each other like they have for years, and if you sit there, you will be entertained by it all.

After 3 hours and a few Manhattans later (like the old days) the check is placed on the table:

Pete: “Dom, I left my wallet home!” (He had just taken it out a few moments earlier)

Dom: “Why do I always get stuck with the check? Joe he does that to me at breakfast too! Well I don’t have enough cash for you!”

Pete: “Well use your credit card!” He then takes out his wallet and pays cash!

This is all done to give agita to each other with tongue in cheek.
I heard stories they remembered about me that I forgot about, about people that I vaguely remember that they brought back to life. I guess you can say it was like visiting an old neighborhood after years away and it kind of chokes me up, because those days are forever gone. We used to go out for lunch for what we called: “Nickel Pasta”, actually a little place where you could get a great dish of pasta for $5, and a few drinks and you were happy.

We’d talk about the job, maybe a personality, maybe we would rib each other, and maybe, just maybe be serious.

No comments: