Monday, September 09, 2013

I WISH

-->
There are times in my day when I wish I had my Dad. There are times that sparkle, times that question and times that challenge. He gave me the tools to handle those times, but still, I wish.

I wish he were here to day to see his name on the screen when they run the credits of the Big Bang Theory, knowing how proud he was of his grandson and namesake while he was still in high school. I remember him asking me to be sure that he got to the graduation ceremony, as he lay on his death bed, telling me to get him a wheel chair so he could see his grandson make him proud once more.

Getting into my car, I drive, and on my dashboard sits my GPS, and as I look at it, I marvel at the fact that it can do so much, and I think of Dad. I wish he could see this wonderful invention, and how it can get you somewhere you might not be able to find otherwise.

Sitting using this laptop and seeing where it can take me, giving me information I would otherwise have to get up and search for in a book or go to a library for and think: darn, I wish Dad could see this. Never in his wildest dreams would he imagine such things!

I take out my cell phone and I can take a picture, call someone or speak to it and it will obey my command and think, gee Dad, remember the corner drug store or candy store with a phone booth, try to find one now!

There are times that I wish we could spend together, comparing Citi Field with Shea Stadium and Ebbets Field, or talking up the Jets or remembering old Brooklyn, and the wonderful stories he gave me about his childhood and all my relatives.

Dad had no mean streak in his body, no kindness he wasn’t capable of. I can remember countless times he helped people who couldn’t help themselves, painting and fixing things for widows and poor out of luck fathers who could use a boost.

He would gather up all the old spinsters who worked at his plant and take them to work for so little as he went to their door in the morning on the way to work as well as at night dropping them off. Mom called them his little girlfriends.

He loved his family, from his siblings to his last grandchild, and would have been uncontrollable with happiness and pride of the family size and the in-laws that have since joined the family. All his little great grandchildren would be legendary by now.

Today, every time I see a head of lettuce, I think of Dad, he loved his salad and had to have it with his evening meal. He could make a dull sandwich bright with flavor with his ability to add the right mix of lettuce with tomatoes and mayo, and make it look so good!

There is one more thing I wish for, that I know I can’t have, the chance once more to say: Happy Birthday Dad, I love you.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO A FAVORITE PHOTOGRAPHER, CLASSMATE AND FELLOW COMMITTEE MEMBER OF THE BELLPORT HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 64's 50TH CLASS REUNION, MICHELE DEPALO!




3 comments:

Anthony said...

Very nice tribute. We miss you, Grandpa.

-#1 Son

Princess Pat said...

I agree very nice tribute and Happy
Birthday Michele and many more.

Michele DePalo said...

Thank you, Joe and Pat. (I guess that photo was before I lost weight. Yikes!)