Wednesday, September 04, 2013

ROCK-A-BYE BABY


On the tree top
When the wind blows
The cradle will rock

When the bough breaks
The cradle will fall
And down will come baby
Cradle and all!

As we plan to sell the house, we are busily gathering things up and either tossing or packing them for storage.  And so one morning, while I was about to leave for a container of milk, TLW (The Little Woman) says: “When you come back I have something to show you.”

On the kitchen table lays a bunch of christening clothes, and the air is becoming heavy with sadness. Being curious I decide to put off my chore and listen to what she had to say.

Picking up a set of white tiny clothing, she says: “Now this is Michael’s christening outfit!” holding them up and then putting them down and goes on to say: “And this is Anthony’s”, and suddenly a flood of memories are coming back to me. By now she is fanning herself and on the verge of tears!

I suddenly go into hysterics as I watch her fight back tears and fans herself about some beautiful old memories. “These are Joseph’s” and then holding up a dress, beautifully done by my sister-in-law Maureen with some intricate embroidery that can only come from love and a good heart for her sister. She had made a christening dress and a beautiful embroider dress for my daughter Ellen. But there is more, there are blankets knitted by my mother and other outfits including a blanket Mom made for Michael because he was a winter baby.

You don’t seem to realize how beautiful the times are when you live through them. They come and go and all too much are taken for granted, or go by one because we are so busy with other things and then we store them away, and forget them.

I look at the beautiful dresses that Maureen made for my daughter Ellen and the blankets and christening outfits Mom made, kept for all eternity it seems, and I see the wonderful love that comes from that, the long hours and the value, that I am appraising in terms of the goodness that should be in all of us for all times.

We will keep these wonderful treasures and maybe TLW will take them out once in a while and enjoy the memories, with or without tears.

I hope you too have some keepsakes and memories to evoke a tear from your heart, about the babies and those that were so thoughtful!

2 comments:

Princess Pat said...

where are two going to move to? Because wherever you go I will follow.
Now that's a scary thought isn't it?

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Maybe you should visit the hobby shop?