Monday, September 02, 2013

NAMING RIGHTS

-->
I see where Kim Kardashian and Kanye West named their child, a beautiful little girl: North West. Now it has been my position from long ago, that the parents should go away, far away, yes, even as far away as the North West!

When I first read about the name of the child, I thought maybe they were taking my advice, but when I read further, they were naming their baby: this disappointed me in so many ways. I can see them naming the child Oregon, or Seattle, but North West? Can you imagine the kid’s first geography assignment in high school for instance: ‘North', by North West. I’m sure there is some kind of copyright infringement there.

I’m a traditionalist, I like to name kids with people’s names, it kind of draws less attention to the parents, and people will think about how beautiful the baby is, and not what a stupid name it might have. I remember when Woody Allen named his kid either Valise or Satchel, I can’t remember for sure which, and thought: Well at least he didn’t name the kid ‘Trunk’.

When my parents got over the shock of having me, they did the sane thing and named me after either my grandfather, or Saint Joseph. After a test run of a few years with me, my mother decided she named me after my grandfather, not some saint judging by my behavior!

I like the name ‘Joe’.  The name is used in a kind way: ‘I need a cup of Joe’, or ‘He’s a good Joe’.  It’s very poetic: Hey Joe, watta ya know? My sister Fran was named after my grandmother on my father’s side. The other three: Tessie my older sister (much older) was named after a saint, Saint Theresa (Or St. Tessie) and my aunt Tessie, Then there is Mary Ann, who has my maternal grandmother’s first name Mary, and then Mom went out on a limb, must have had wine one night and named my baby sister Joanne! Where the hell is there another Joanne in my family, I asked out loud. You should never ask out loud, it comes with a wooden spoon upside your head!

In today’s generation, they are getting creative. There is Alexander, Alexa, Aubrey-Rose, a favorite of mine, Daxton, and Sammy, Alexandra and Grace, Ryan and Olivia; another favorite of mine.

As you can see, the naming convention is changing like the world. As I see it, the latest generation will probably be changing the convention even more, naming their kids after other things, maybe: Microchip, or Android, or even PC.

A BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO AN OLD SCHOOL CHUM AND FELLOW BHS CLASS OF 64 COMMITTEE MEMBER

PAT MARCOCCIO!

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

I'm guessing 'Gladys' won't be making a comeback.