Monday, September 16, 2013

SIX OF ONE, HALF A DOZEN OF ANOTHER


Driving home from a meeting the other day, I hit a small lonely road and right in front of me going about 20 mph was a landscape crew, with a beat up old pickup and one of those bins on wheels that carries a sit-down mower an all the gardening and landscaping tools to keep a late sleeper awake.

Now I am a very patient, as you know, few things bother me, except slowing moving landscape crews and missing dinner. There ought to be a law!

As I am trying to be cool about the slow poke in front of me, all I can think about is what I want to do at home if I ever get there. Driving, we slow down even more as we attack the curves and bends on the road, the stop signs take up more time and I now need to be home before Christmas so I can plan for the holiday.

Patience is a virtue, so I don’t blow my horn, but I am starting to blow some steam. Suddenly we are now slowing down in the middle of the road to a crawl, between stop signs, crawling until Chuckles stops altogether.

Now what? I wonder. Like the gates of a castle, the back doors of the wheeled bin begin to slowly open, revealing two guys, one of which is speaking rapidly in Spanish, when suddenly they lay out a ramp for a mower to drive down out of the bin. I of course am astonished by the whole series of events unfolding before my eyes when I realize what is happening and squeeze by.

Ah! I’m free of that nonsense as I once more hit the open road, tooling along at 30 mph toward the next stop sign, where I come to a full stop and what turns before me to lead me once again into the depths of despair, but a little yellow school bus, that doing 20 mph makes a sudden stop in front of a house and sticks out the ‘Stop’ sign for all traffic!

The drive jumps out of the bus and heads toward the back and slowly lowers a ramp, I am in for a long wait!

Why? Why, why, why, couldn’t she stick her arm out and wave me on rather than make me sit there since there was no other cars around but me?

Why? I’ll tell you why, because that is what is supposed to happen to me. If I ever get a break, it is usually put in a cast! THAT”S WHY.

No comments: