Sunday, September 22, 2013

THE SILVER FOX


As I do every time I get into my car to drive somewhere, I always remind myself that I am retired, so therefore not in any particular hurry. Then something happens and that all changes.

One Saturday recently, driving home from visiting my mother like a good son should, I found myself on North Ocean Avenue heading north to the Long Island Expressway.

Out of the corner of my eye I feel a driver trying to pass me on the slower lane, at a pretty good speed! I look over and see it is a young kid in his mid-twenties, and he looks like he has no patience for an old guy. (me)

We come up to the last light before we get to the Expressway and he is sitting in his car biting his nails, and I wondered if that came with dessert. Determined that the youngster was not going to out run the old fox (me) when the light turned green, I was going to give him a run for his money. (This is the something that happens)

The light turns green and I apply the pedal to the metal and jump out in front with a small lead, as I keep an eye on the hungry lad. He is now pushing his brown Subaru to gain on me and get ahead. Nothing doing: as I give my little black Prius a little more gas. He is taken by surprise as I maintain my lead! Pushing his scrap metal I make my move and race about a half car length ahead up to the Expressway, as he has to fall behind me and I turn left into the exit ramp.

The loser!
As I do he shoots me a look and I yell: “YOU JUST DON’T HAVE IT PUNK!”

Made my whole day! 

I know, when will I ever grow up? When will I start acting my age? Well let me tell you, I was acting my age when he challenged me, don’t mess with us old guys, baby!

Young whipper snappers!

2 comments:

Anthony said...

Yeeeaaahhhh!!! And you did it in a Prius. I'm sure that added to the young punk's over-confidence. Glad you showed him who is boss.

-#1 Son

Jim Pantaleno said...

The terror of the L.I.E. Get that black leather jacket out of mothballs and go kick ass.