Tuesday, July 02, 2019

GETTING TO KNOW YOU…

Having spent my days these past few months at the bedside of my daughter I have begun to be a regular at the ICU in St. Charles Hospital. From 6:15 A.M. every morning Monday through Sunday, the hospital staff offers me refreshments such as coffee, cookies, and drinks.

One staffer has suggested she get me an electronic pass so I can come and go whenever I please and not wait for someone before hours to ring the bell to open the door to the ICU. I’m not sure a salary isn’t in order either as I assist the nurses and doctors in their quest to help my daughter.

When we returned from California every doctor and nurse and that includes the X-ray people, hematologists, and infectious diseases personnel all asked about our trip.

But, when we get personal and close it is the cleaning lady that tops it all. A sweet little Hispanic lady who has this wonderful accent, every morning she shows up I get out of the room so she can clean and mop it unhindered by yours truly. She smiles, greets my daughter and says: “Gooood Morning!” She then asks or makes a comment about how Ellen looks and engages her in conversation.

If I go into the coffee shop, Le Café’, the help recognizes me and will even go out of their way to fill a request beyond the order. As I enter the hospital each morning the attendant at the front desk, with a smile and a ‘Good morning’, greets me!

In fact, the only one who is a little testy with me is my daughter, Ellen!


No comments: