Thursday, February 01, 2018

THE DOCTOR CALLIT

When you have a slight hearing loss like I do, where you don't hear well on the phone, in large places, small places and yes, those places in between, life can be tricky. Your ordinary day is filled with heightened tension and worried anticipation as someone speaks.

The Little Woman (TLW) has been dealing with this problem since she married me, and yet she did. Without her cooperation, you would not have such notables as Moonstomper and Mike Headroom, who people have stated never seeing the two in the same room. If you are curious about this, be afraid, very afraid.

The other day I got a call while I was away. Coming home I found a message on my phone from a somewhat familiar looking phone number. Usually, the calls left on my phone are sales calls by Robo, and I just erase them. This one seemed to call out to me to listen to it. IT WAS MY DOCTOR'S OFFICE! My God, was I dying? Was there something terminally wrong with me? Is this the end. Looking into the mirror, I said my goodbyes, yes, this is the end.

I pick up the phone and there on the message was the doctor himself, telling me something about something, which was OK, except he was speaking in such a rush and at a high pitch. Had no idea when I was dying, but he seemed to be in a hurry to tell me something. Do I cancel my trip to California? Do I fill my gas tank? Do I even have lunch?

So, picking up the phone I call TLW.

"WHAT?"

"Hi Toots, can you do me a favor and call the answering machine and retrieve a message that the doctor left. I couldn't understand a word he said."

She calls to tell me that the doctor said that I had an appointment tomorrow at 9:00 AM and would meet with a Jessie who is the new LPN!

So much for dying, it's worst-his co-pay!

No comments: