Monday, February 08, 2010

FROM ON HIGH!


TLW (The Little Woman) has sent the order down to me: start doing the yearly poster for the First Holy Communion classes. In her best executive manner, TLW sets the machine in motion. Her job is to see to it that I get to heaven, no matter what it takes!

My job is the impossible one, getting to heaven, and once I’m there, TLW can with all the angels and saints, tell me what to do, or I can go to hell! To achieve her lofty goals, I have to on a yearly basis, shoot some 20 classes of second graders at the church where they are studying to make their first communion, including her class.

Once the pictures are shot, then I create a large poster of all the pictures, and then the little children when they come to Mass, and see that their picture is not there, can cry. That is because they didn’t show up when I took the picture. Then after many hours of work on my part, getting the photos into my computer system, color correcting them, creating a new concept for the poster, printing it out and assembling it on a large poster board, some cranky mother will haul her kid into church, and stick a picture she took, usually slightly out of focus onto the board, hiding half the kids on the poster.

I love it!

It is fun to visit the little kids while they try to sit still, all the while squirming about, while the teachers try to control them. They all look like little husbands, listening to their wives while trying to watch a football game.

Teacher: “Who can tell me what went on at Mass last Sunday?”
Johnny: “OOOOH! OOOOH! I know!
Teacher: “Yes, Johnny?”
Johnny: “Some guy comes around and takes all your money.”
Teacher: “Noooo, that’s not it.”
Johnny: “Oh, he takes all my MOM’s money?”

Now I don’t really wish to brag, but I got most of those questions right!

1 comment:

Laura ESL Teacher said...

Hey how about you come and take a picture of my CCD class? I somehow became the default teacher of Ava's Wed. class....never volunteer for anything!