Saturday, February 13, 2010

SNOW DAZE



It seems the snowstorm of February 10, 2010, has gotten everyone in a titter! Cancellation of schools a day before the storm hits, the number one topic being the storm, the newspapers reporting on it and the media in general milking it to death



Good thing the storm hit, news has not been that salacious lately, maybe a scandal or two, and the stock market heading down faster than an elevator in the Empire State Building.

This storm has made media giants out of weather men, the crawls across the bottom of the TV screen, reiterating what has already been said 4,000 times in the last hour, make it seem like we are being invaded by Martians or the some foreign power!

They tie low level reporters to phone polls, right under the traffic cameras, to report “live” the road conditions, counting the snowflakes, making it look like a pre-Super Bowl show.

Isn’t there something else to get excited about? How many people died in Haiti today, maybe? Or, let’s run a crawl across the bottom of our TV screens counting how many children died of hunger today, or went to bed, homeless!

The weathermen are just gushing with enthusiasm, making sweeping motions with their arms and hands, expressively detailing the flow of the cold front, wind direction and accumulations.

People the day before, run to the supermarkets, to stock up on milk, cold cuts, finger foods, and soda, to be “ready” for the storm!

How many storms in my lifetime do I need to realize that we usually survive these “events”? I think we all need to get a life if this is what excites us. I can remember driving in dangerous conditions, fighting against blizzard conditions, torrential rains, and once during a blizzard on the LIE, no windshield wipers! My Toyota Corolla had accumulated so much snow on the windshield, the wiper connections became loosened, stopping the wiping action, causing me to pull over. The driving conditions that late afternoon were so bad that there were no lanes anymore, but a free for all, hell bent charge to the east, trying to get home before we all melted.

When I finally got to my exit, eight hours later. The exit was totally gone, I had to plow through with the little Corolla, and make my way home!
So, LET’S GET OVER IT!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting over it in VA would require a lift of some sort! Seriously, I agree the snoverkill live weather reporting was a bit much. The best advice I got was to put shorts on, turn on all of the lights, get an umbrella drink and enjoy! (courtesy of MaryAnn DelBroccolo.
SS-I-L

Jim Pantaleno said...

I think 663 got it right when he said this about weather forecasters:

我們這一代最偉大的發現是,人類可以藉由改變心中的態度來改變人