Thursday, February 25, 2010

SAY DADDY…


Please!

That is the current state of family affairs in my humble abode.

It seems a little bit of history was learned this past weekend, in a conversation with TLW (The little Woman).

On Sunday we brought home my daughter Ellen. It is the custom to have her home every other weekend for dinner. She is a very good dinner guests, eats everything with both a flourish and a relish, consuming copious amounts of her mother’s cooking, and not leaving the table until it is all gone!

Being how there are so few words she can speak, if makes me saddened that she can’t say “Daddy”, or “Da Da”, no matter how hard I try. TLW feels, as I do, that she can’t manipulate her tongue and mouth to do so, so she only says; “Mama” or “Mumma”.

So when Ellen needs my attention, she looks me in the eye and says: “Mumma”, and I say: “Noooo, say Da Da!” This makes her laugh and says continues to say “Mumma”.

“Well, don’t babies learn to say Momma when they just learn to speak?” said I.

“No, the first words out of a babies mouth is: Dada.”

“You mean the other kids said Dada before they said Momma!?”

“Yup, and it made me mad, here I was spending the whole day with them, changing their diapers, feeding and entertaining them, and the first words they say are for Daddy!”

Of course today, they do a complete 360 degrees turn, when they call. Furinstance:

#2 Son calling from college: “Where’s Mom?”

“She’s not here.”

“Where did she go?”

“I don’t know.”

“When will she be back?”

“She didn’t tell me.”

“This is important, tell her to call me.”

Here is where I get stupid.

“Can I help you?”

A long pause

“Hello, hello? You there Michael?”

Quit fooling around Dad, have Mom call me.”

No comments: