Friday, February 26, 2010

STONE FACES



The whole day was spent thinking about it. I wondered a lot of things, mostly about how much of a fool I would make of myself. I was going into uncharted territory, and I knew suspicion and even resentment would be in the air. I wondered how I found myself in such a situation.

I knew I had better be good and concise about what I said, and that I needed to convince people. Would they believe me, or even listen? Being warned about a possible hostile reception was uppermost in my mind.

As I climbed the long high stairway to the building, the parking lot was filling up. Was this to witness an execution, or was it curiosity? I wondered.

The large room was quickly filling up. The chairs were scrapping across the floor and the noise was becoming unsettling. I looked around me and saw no real familiar faces, let alone friendly ones!

I took a place where I thought I should and waited. People were looking at me and I think wondering: “Is this the new guy? Is this what will take over, and give me orders?” It was a few minutes before 7:30 pm, and the time was ticking by on my wristwatch. I took comfort that I still had a minute or two yet before I would bolt from the room and hide under my car somewhere far away from where I was.

Finally I saw him, the man that put me in this situation, this untenable position. Quickly he strode into the room and stopped to talk to some people. When he entered, everyone seemed to quiet down look at him. He acknowledged me with a nod of his head, and the meeting came to order.

A long and flourishing introduction came from the priest, as he addressed the crowd, and left me wondering when he would introduce me to the Parish Fund Raising Committee. After that introduction, I really felt the pressure. Here was a group of people, mostly over 65 and seasoned pros in the business of their separate committees. Silently they sat, their arms folded over their chests, not moving, smiling or even blinking.

The cat was now out of the bag! I was the new chair of the parish fund raising committee. Thirty-five people would report to me!

Slowly the words started to leave me, uttered through my throat, as I searched for the words, ideas and concepts I would introduce. As I spoke not a muscle in their faces moved, only their eyes as they followed me.

After my opening remarks, a strange thing happened! They all came alive, reacting to what I had said in an animated manner, which belied my fears. I had successfully presented my case, and had won them over.

These very same people, who for years ran their committees, who disagreed with the past chairperson, so much so that the priest had to fire that individual, who had ownership, who felt: “No one is going to tell me what to do!” were now asking to meet more often, to meet and discuss what I had introduced. Not only that, they were asking my advice,and listening to me.

After the meeting, they all came over to me and introduced themselves while wishing me luck. Many commented on what I had said! All positive.

I guess it pays not to get too crazy about unknown expectations, and just ride it out and hope for the best.

No comments: