Tuesday, April 13, 2010

BOY! I’M GLAD THAT’S OVER!


Having retired in 2006, it hit me recently how much I don’t miss Monday morning commutes!

Recently, I had to drive to East Setauket to attend a doctor appointment for my daughter Ellen. I like to attend them so I know first-hand how her health is. Although she lives in a group home, she still needs me to advocate for her, and both my wife and I do that.

The morning was dark, dreary and raining extremely hard. The rain came down so fast, the windshields could not be wiped off fast enough. It took me back to my days when I did that every morning. Driving in traffic, the frustration of dealing with stalled traffic and the downpours that would occur, especially on a Monday morning! Usually there was a meeting waiting for me, a presentation of some sort, or a rush to get something to the printer. I would become aggravated by the traffic and delays, wishing I were home with a cup of coffee and a newspaper.

Tuesday dawned just like Monday did: hard rain, wind, dark and dreary. Ah! I had nowhere to go! The weather channel was playing, the shots of red taillights, and the oncoming blur of yellow headlights, all in long continuous, unmoving lines.

If I weren’t so busy, I would just close all the lights, lean back in my recliner and enjoy the sound of the rain coming down, maybe read a little, maybe find an old movie.
Retirement, it has its privileges!

No comments: