Sunday, April 25, 2010

SCHOOL DAZE!

It was a beautiful morning. The sky was blue, the grass had dew dropped coating of sweet morning, and I was well rested and fed! All was well with the world!

As I stood outside on my front yard, a garden hose in my hand, a young lady was walking by, books in hand and moving like it was the last mile before execution. Her face was long and I feared for a moment it would scrape the ground and cause scaring!

Yes, she was heading to call her friend next door to me, Christine, and off to school they would venture.

Sometimes I’m very reticent to speak up, let alone sing out. Not this time. No, I would bellow out the ever-popular ditty, sung right after the Labor Day holiday, mostly by mother’s across the land.

It goes something like this:

Up in the mornin' and out to school
The teacher is teachin' the Golden Rule
American history and practical math
You studyin' hard and hopin' to pass
Workin' your fingers right down to the bone
And the guy behind you won't leave you alone

Ring, ring goes the bell
The cook in the lunch room's ready to sell
You're lucky if you can find a seat
You're fortunate if you have time to eat
Back in the classroom, open your books
Gee but the teacher don't know how mean she looks

Or, this one for the more conventional:

School days, school days,
Dear old golden rule days.
'Readin' and 'ritin' and 'rithmetic,
Taught to the tune of a hick'ry stick.
You were my queen in calico,
I was your bashful barefoot beau,
And you wrote on my slate,
'I love you, Joe,'
When we were a couple of kids.

I chose to sing the latter.

If it weren’t for the grace of God, I would not be here writing this. You see, that child was unarmed! If she were, I’d be dead by now! The look she shot me across the lawn was a mixture of drop-dead and the middle finger, all rolled up into one facial expression!

Am I mean? Probably. Do I deserve that look? Definitely.

Should I stay indoors until she moves out of the neighborhood?

I think so!

No comments: