Monday, April 12, 2010

IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT, SHERLOCK!

I was on my way out the door a little while ago to see a client of mine. Suddenly there appeared TLC1 (The Lovely Carol) from next door. In her hand is a key with an alarm setter and a small pad with names and numbers.

TLC was in her happiest of moods and on the verge of leaving for Mexico in a few hours, and wanted me to watcher house, and get her mail. No problem, took the key and pad and we went our separate ways.

It didn’t take long!

In the early morning hours of Monday, about 2:00 AM, TLW (The Little Woman), is scurrying around the room, looking out one bedroom window, then the other, as I watched. Something told me she heard something. Sure enough, she approached me. Suddenly she was reaching toward me and shaking me. Recovering from the wounds of her vigilance, I climbed up off the floor and asked what was wrong.

“The house alarm from next door!” she exclaimed, in a rather urgent manner. With all her concern, she still managed to slide back into bed, cover her head, as I quickly got out of the room in my skivvies, and raced down the stairs to find the alarm.

Not thinking there was anyone else in the house at 1:45 am I turned the corner to come face to face with #2 Son’s girlfriend who happened to be sitting in my chair, as I reached for the alarm!

Not saying a word, I got the alarm setter and fired away, stopping the noise, or so I thought.

Running upstairs, I dressed and went over in a heavy driving rain and cold, cold wind to the house to check. I searched upstairs and down, including the basement, and checked all the rooms to make sure no one was hiding that may have tried to break in and still be there.

The next morning, there sits TLW.

“So what happened last night? Did the police come?”

“No! It was quiet.”

“You know, I heard it again this morning!”

“You heard the house alarm again this morning?”

“Hmmm… maybe it was a car alarm!”

She picks the worst time of the day and weather to make mistakes for me.

No comments: