Monday, May 04, 2015

I NEVER KNEW THAT!

-->
A group of previous kindergartners were trying very hard to become accustomed to the first grade. The biggest hurdle they faced was that the teacher insisted on NO baby talk!
"You need to use 'Big People' words," she was always reminding them. She asked Chris what he had done over the weekend.
"I went to visit my Nana."
"No, you went to visit your GRANDMOTHER. Use 'Big People' words!" She then asked Mitchell what he had done.
"I took a ride on a choo-choo." She said "No, you took a ride on a TRAIN. You must remember to use 'Big People' words." She then asked little Alec what he had done.
"I read a book," he replied.
"That's WONDERFUL!" the teacher said. "What book did you read?"
Alec thought real hard about it, then puffed out his chest with great pride, and said, "Winnie the SH*T."

Having to spend Sunday in Albany by myself is not such a bad thing on spring day. The morning found me finishing up a delicious breakfast in the hotel restaurant and off I went to spend some time at the New York State Museum.

The walk from the Hilton Albany to the Empire State Plaza Convention Center and past the large reflective pool to the museum is a very interesting architectural tour. The pool separates the museum from the State capitol building, and is surrounded by some modern skyscrapers that rival NYC and are very beautiful. You couple this with the ancient old world European charm of the surrounding neighborhood and you see something marvelous.

Once you find your way into the museum, the first thing that makes you happy is: it’s FREE!!! Yes, since the state built it, they made it free.

Touring museums has been a thing I’ve done since my college days, but this tour is the most interesting I’ve ever taken by far. At every turn, there is something teaching you, at every turn there is something I learn. Never have I taken the time to read some of the smaller exhibits and information bits that are offered in museums like I did this one, it is truly a great and remarkable job, teaching; culture, history, design, archeology, architectural design and civilization from the beginning of time.


There are things like the Shakers having so much impact on the State, the 9/11 exhibit, moving and the emotion can flow if you are not careful, the subway exhibit taking me back to my childhood.

At one point I decided to sit and rest for a while and discovered I was outside of a replica of Delmonico’s the historical restaurant that impacted the culinary world, while it catered to the rich. Two ladies wandered by and were looking into the window of the remade restaurant, and I couldn’t help but have a little fun. Sitting outside the entryway I stated to them: “there’s a 40 minute wait.” They laughed.

If you ever get to go to Albany, take in the Museum, you will be glad you did. There were things in there I never knew, a surprise around every corner. In fact, take in all of Albany, and the autumn is the best time to go. There is nothing up there but beauty, history and culinary delights everywhere.





LOOKING FOR GREAT GIFT IDEAS FOR YOUR CHILDREN OR GRANDCHILDREN?


Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm


DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should, you'll learn something!











No comments: