Sunday, June 16, 2013

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!

-->
Just like fathers everywhere, Father’s Day is an after-thought. Yes, it took Mother’s Day and a widower to enable Father’s Day recognition.

Now I’m not complaining, I think it nice that we recognize fathers in America, without them there is no family to begin with.

In 1910, in Spokane Washington, a young woman named Sonora Smart Dodd after hearing a sermon about mothers on Mother’s Day, approached her pastor and suggested a day be set aside for fathers, her inspiration: her dad, William Jackson Smart a single parent who raised his children after his wife died from the birth of their sixth child. And so. The third Sunday of every June is set aside as Father’s Day.

However, for every woman who is married, she has her children and half child, her husband. Yes, it is his job to wake the kids up for school, drive them somewhere on weekends (it didn’t matter where, just put them in the car and drive) and fix broken toys, paint their rooms and tell them they are NOT adopted if they really weren’t.

Spending time with Dad was special: it was considered bonding. After a father untied himself from the ropes, fathers then could repair the house before Mom got home. I remember bonding with Dad, playing tag and Dad would drive.

When my kids got older they wanted to bargain with me about their behavior.

#1 Son: “Dad give me $20 and I’ll be good.”
Me: “What! At your age I was good for nothing!”

#2 Son sought some kind of deal by requesting half of all my Father’s Day presents, after all he reasoned: if it weren’t for him I wouldn’t even be a father.

Naturally I am proud to be a father, having two good-looking sons and a beautiful daughter. My daughter very much loves me, giving me hugs constantly and always makes a big deal when she sees me.

I had a wonderful early Father’s Day present this past May, flying out to Chicago and spending a long weekend with my sons. Seeing the Mets play two in the city with broad shoulders and sightseeing the city, it was a wonderful thing for any father to do.

As for me, I would not trade my kids for anything, or anyone. My daughter is as valuable to me as if she could give me grandchildren, and my son Joseph: although knowing him for only a few years, still reigns true in my heart and soul, as do two wonderful sons. Happy Fathers Day to me, and to all who are Dads, a special title.

Now that #1 Son is married, I am very fortunate to have such a wonderful daughter-in-law: TLC (The Lovely Courtney) and she is thought of as my own. She demonstrated what father love is when I spent a few days with her and her dad Roger, who had to be a great father in raising her as she so enjoyed his company that long weekend in LA. (Go Bruins!)

To my Dad Tony, my father-in-law Jim, all my brother-in-laws, Roger, and Phil, along with my good buddy and paisano from the old neighborhood in Brooklyn, Jim, and all my friends on the board of directors, the neighborhood and everywhere, have a wonderful Father’s Day, may your children keep you in their hearts forever.


To my children I say:

Dear Children,

Always take comfort in the fact that as long as I live, here is where your home is. Here is where you can come if life is too unbearable, or deals you a nasty blow. I will always be here for you and will always worry about you, no matter what age, no matter how comfortable and secure you may feel out of my sight.

The one gift grandpa gave me he gave me many years ago that lasted all my life: the knowledge that he was there for me, even without resources, he backed it up with love. He wasn’t very demonstrative about it, just went ahead and did what it took, and I am always grateful for that.

When I am gone, I want you to remember me for only one thing: that being that I did give you my best. The best is not always accommodating, not always cooperative, but it is the best. By that I mean you may not have always agreed with me, because there were days when youth was more exuberant than reason. But I did what I felt was right. There were days when you may have made me angry with you, and I may have said things I shouldn’t have, but I never said I don’t love you.

So I will be proud today, because you are the reason I am a father, something I am proud of because of you. Thanks and remember: I love you all… equally… without qualification.So love each other.

TAPT,
Love, Dad


4 comments:

Princess Pat said...

Happy Dads Day Joe!!!

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Thanks Pat, wish it to Bill for me, too!

Anonymous said...

Happy Father's Day to you too, Joe! Being a Dad is pretty cool!
Roger

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Of course that comes from a pretty cool father, Roger!