Tuesday, April 22, 2014

PARDON MY POLISH


When we went on our honeymoon many moons ago, one of the places we visited was London, England.

‘How many miles to London town?
Four-score and ten.
Can I get there by candlelight?
Yes and back again!’

London was one of the most cosmopolitan cities there was back then. Much of the world’s finances pointed to her, as did fashion and diplomacy, a thriving center for travel and theater, and I wanted to see it, feel it and even smell it.

The people of London were extremely friendly and courteous, helpful and an inviting people of great substance, I still love London. Aside from Big Ben and the Royal Family, the English have one other thing that America doesn’t have… an accent! Yes, they speak the language with an accent! Amazing.

The first week upon our return to America and our new lives as man and boss, we seemed to have a slight accent that we both noticed! I guess when in London do as the Londoners. Which brings me to Anna.

Anna is a lovely Polish woman who cares for Mom 24/7, and does it very well, with much forethought and consideration, she is a good woman and the family loves her. Anna has of course an accent, and it is affecting me!

When I have a conversation with Anna it goes something like this:

Anna: “Joe, listen: I give Mamma medicine now, ok?”

Me: “OK, I go in living room, you call when done?”

Anna: “Joe, listen: my husband bring Babka, You try?”

Me: “I try”
  
So I am easily swayed or a wonderful linguist! I like Anna’s way of speaking, she forewarns me she is going to speak by starting every sentence with 'Listen" and it saves time and is quick and to the point. You could say I speak Polish.

As an aside: I think they need a proof-reader in the Polish press, the typos in their reading material are alarming!

No comments: