Monday, July 23, 2018

HEROES FROM THE ODDEST SOURCES


In the midst of the pain of the past month, I got to thinking about what transpired and how it is affecting my thoughts. With all the realizations that ensue with tragedies comes something positive. You wonder what can be positive about death, but there is, especially for me.

My son Anthony is now rebuilding his life and that of his daughter Darby while constructing a life for a newborn that will start out without a mother. Having lost his mother during his birth, Bobby will never know his mother except for little film clips and pictures and the stories that are told to him. Thankfully what he hears and sees will all be positive, especially coming from his dad.

As I mull over it all I realize that my son has become a hero to me, as well as his children. He is an amazing man who is a very good father and the kids are really lucky to have him. He is brave and he is smart, and as his friend wrote about him he will “be as brave as you are kind”, who could say or wish him more?

It shows me that he can reach down and find strength for others so that they can go on with their lives, as will Darby Shea and Robert Courtney.

Then there is my daughter, a woman with severe disabilities that has courage and strength. When she broke her leg a few years ago, it didn’t break her spirit and never really slowed her down. Today, she is as happy as ever, strong as ever, and loving, for me that is a role model.

No comments: