Wednesday, July 18, 2018

WE WON’T FORGET

It’s been a month since my family found itself trapped in a horrible tragedy laced with the unbelievable reality and heartbroken awareness that although as adults we suffer, my grandchildren will pay for the rest of their lives.

One month ago today, we mourned the death of a beautiful woman who was not only a great wife that made my son happy but a most amazing mother who raised an incredible little girl. In this horror came some respite, the birth of a beautiful son who will be very much normal and will grow intellectually as well as physically.

Few of us can walk this Earth and say we knew her. Few can say they had the pleasure of witnessing her artistic and cultural presence. Few of us ill witness the love she had for her little Darby, 4-years old filled with life like her Mamma.

So I will accept what is impossible to accept and rejoice in the birth of a beautiful child, my grandchild, that once again Courtney delivered as was not surprising.

Way back in 2014, when Darby was to be ‘Christened” There were two Christening outfits. My Mom had just passed in June and I was somewhat down. My wife Ellen provided a Christening dress that was worn by my son Mike. This outfit was from the talents of my mother, hand-knitted and rather beautiful. There was a second outfit that was beautiful also given by a great aunt of Darby. Up to the moments before we were to go out to the altar, in my heart I hoped that Courtney would choose Moms. I waited and hoped and sure enough, she chose Moms. Little Darby was Christened in Mom’s outfit, something I have never forgotten, and as we walked out to the altar, I kissed Courtney in deep gratitude, it brought some meaning to the day for me beyond the rituals that were playing out.

No comments: