Sunday, June 04, 2006

IT’S THE LAST NAME I’LL EVER USE.

Last evening the Little Woman and I went to a farewell party for a priest. The priest suggested the party, and I was sent an invitation to join the committee to put the show on. The first order of business was to keep it from the priest. After surprising us with his request, we would surprise him with his own party. You really have to be there to understand this.

First let me report on the important stuff, the food was excellent!

Other business we attended to at the farewell was reintroducing my wife to the Bishop that was invited. The Bishop’s name is Wcela. The connection is a very close one. He is the cousin to the man that married my sister-in-law’s husband sister. So as you can see he is just like close family.

Just like in my last name Del Broccolo, the “W” is missing, along with many more letters. Not only is the “W” silent in Wcela, but also the Bishop was missing, not unlike the “W” in my last name. We got up from our seats and went over to re-introduce the Little Woman, and we found ourselves starting to shake hands with a folded napkin!

Now my sister-in-law Maureen will probably be disappointed, because we don’t have a picture to send her.

Talk about silent letters and missing letters: my sister married a Dzicek! You ask how do you pronounce it? I say imagine trying to hurry up the word deep-six, and put a German accent to the rush of words. But wait, I forgot that this weekend I saw another sister and her Husband. Try this one on for size – are you ready? Here it comes! Sit first. Uyeno! Try to pronounce that one! What you have to do is drop the first letter, then go to the top of this little essay and borrow the “W” from Wcela and put it in front along with an “A”.

Fortunately my Brother-in-law is a prince of a man, and a Saint for marrying you know who, so no one makes fun of his last name. Besides, I’m working on a new spelling for Del Broccolo. How does Zckwdel Broccolo seem? I’m sorry; I still need two last names.

No comments: