Sunday, June 18, 2006

“35 YEARS WITH THE SAME WOMAN”

Today is our 35ft Wedding Anniversary, and as my Dad used to say “35 YEARS WITH THE SAME WOMAN.” Not that anyone should care except me and the Little Woman, but there is a lot I should say about marriage, in lieu of the fact that June IS the traditional month for marriages.

I happened to marry a jack-of-all-trades, a persons who wears many hats and disguises in fulfilling her function as a married woman. Let me elaborate:

Wife, - she cooks, cleans, and generally takes care of the house endlessly-she’s making me tired. I look at her and I want to go back to bed, as she scurries about doing something or other. She really is a great cook, makes a mean sauce, yet can still keep me alive in spite of my bad eating habits.

Mother, - “Michael” seems to be the only word she yells out, or “MICHAEL…TIME TO GET UP, I’M NOT CALLING AGAIN, MICHAEL GET UP.” She will repeat this until all the Michaels of the world get up. Other phrases the Little Woman uses are: Did you hear from your son? Or “Don’t forget to remind me about calling for Ellen.”

Forewoman, - just over 5 feet tall, she walks around the place snapping out orders, telling me what she wants me to do next. I find this very amusing, and go along with it since if I don’t I would disappoint her and I need the exercise. The fascinating thing is, she is right there with me, working harder than I do.

Saint, - Every Sunday she goes out for Mass, and practices her faith. Regardless of the weather, road conditions or location. The Little Woman teaches little children about God, and helps them make their First Holy Communion, every week, sending notes home to the parents that I have to create on my computer, making class projects that I have to make on my computer, books for her class that I have to make on my computer, and a big sign board that celebrates all the communion classes, and of course, I make on my computer. She is very generous with my computer.

Career Woman, - Every week she goes off to work, happily communicating with others beside her family. When she comes home, over dinner we go over our day, how we spent it, and whom we might have met. She has introduced me to hundreds of members of her credit union, and entertained me with their stories, even though I never met these people. Fortunately I don’t have to hear the details of their finances, just their attitudes and gripes, or whatever little mission she was assigned to that day, and how it all turned out.

Fortunately for me, she is healthy and vibrant, and I think still a looker. She is very thoughtful, kind hearted, and on most days pleasant, with a beautiful smile and a sweet voice. Whenever I see her, or even hear her voice my blood pressure goes up and a very happy glow fills me with joy. I guess I still love her after all these 35 years, and think I am luckier than any man on the planet, dead or alive.

Thanks Toots, I love you. You honored me with 35 years of your life; I hope I didn’t disappoint you too much.

No comments: