Friday, August 13, 2010

MY HAIR HURTS

I was asked to be part of a committee to select a new executive director for my daughter’s agency. I guess after doing it once before many years ago when the board replaced the old executive director, having had the experience, here I go again!

The problem with selecting someone is the reading of the resume’s, the things you look for, and the things that the agency needs, coupled with someone’s ambition, for whatever reason, makes for a tough time.



You have to wonder if there is any padding of the facts, if exaggeration is really half-truth or really half “what should be” in the eyes of the applicant. Eight or nine resumes were selected from a pool of many that could not make the grade. Being selective in choosing the people to interview is hard, and distinguishing the differences from the eight or nine seems monumental! I feel confident that they will be all qualified, but how qualified or to what degree remains to be seen.



Having had the first two interviews, my perception of each person was dramatically revised and shockingly, one was terrific, and one was ok. On paper they seem equal. I wonder if down the road, when I see them all, if the terrific one will even be: in the running.

A person’s life is in the balance, but more importantly, the agency’s future is also there for the changing. Since I love the agency, I look to protect it, its employees, and the wonderful souls we serve. I have done my homework, but feel it is not enough to just read emails, now I Google where I can and make notes, and compare the results to the resumes.



WOW! Life sure has changed since I sent out a resume. I don’t think it is any fun looking for a job, never interviewing for one, and certainly never when you must wait for a decision to be made about you personally.

I will be happy after the second interviews are completed, and a decision is finally made, for those who applied.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully, the committee is not manipulated by the current executive director and the best candidate is chosen!