Sunday, August 08, 2010

SHHHHH!


I spent the whole morning in the library digging for information and old prints and photos. Things were going so-so and the progress was steady. Sitting in the back room with the librarian assistant, I cracked open one book after another and make copies and notes. Suddenly, I was missing a publication that would complete a decade in the middle of the 20th century. Frustrated, I asked Caroline the librarian if she could locate the particular book.

Caroline is an attractive woman who has spent many hours in the college library, working. Her hair is in a bun, she wears thick small-rimmed glasses, and I swear, a pencil in her hair! Suffice it to say that the library is her life, or so I thought. Suddenly Miss Caroline became alive, vital, a sense of “I am woman!” was declared in her posture and demeanor.

Caroline works for the head librarian, an unmarried man in his middle 30’s, bald and very serious. Only his lips move. Short staccato sentences fill the air when one speaks to him, because that is what his feedback is. He too, has spent all his time in the library!

Being a brave sole, I noticed the change in Caroline’s appearance and since her demeanor had changed, I decided to talk to her more. Striking up a conversation with a strange woman is an art form in a sense. With what appears to be a lonely women can be dangerous! She would not stop talking! Suddenly I was getting her whole life story, her relationship with the head librarian (Thumbs down) and her non-connect with him.

Suddenly she was asking me if I needed more assistance, maybe a coffee, (She could run down and get me a cup, no trouble), if I needed anything, ANYTHING AT ALL, please let her know. The copy machine started to act up, and as I began to investigate it, she suddenly appeared, offering assistance and more help than I needed. I was starting to feel self-conscious. I was afraid to ask for anything more, because we were becoming very tight. Yes, like old friends, but her doing all the friendliness.

Reaching into her bottom desk draw, she pulled out her pocket book, went into a small closet where she found a straw hat and put on sunglasses.

“Now I’m going out to lunch! If you need anything, ANYTHING AT ALL, here is my cell number, don’t hesitate to call and I will come right back!”

I was at the mercy of my business partner who drove in with me in his car, and was at a meeting somewhere in the building. I decided to not think about it and concentrate on the task at hand. Soon my respite was over, and Ms. Accommodating had returned.

“Hi! Did everything go well? Is there anything you need? Did you have lunch yet, I can get you a sandwich at the cafeteria? Don’t be a silly man and work through lunch”
she cautioned me.

I informed her that I was having lunch with some people, and she suddenly became very interested.

Digging into my books, I was starting to feel like the nerd! I tried to focus on the books, even pretending I was deeply involved, when all I wanted to do was bolt for the door and the elevator.

Sitting at the desk, she pulled a chair over and sat there looking at me.

“What are you doing for the college?”

Telling her, it opened up even more questions.

“Do you want to interview me? I know a lot about this place!”

It is like shaking off flypaper!

Respectfully declining, she put her head down and a small look of disappointment crossed her face. Tugging my guilt complex was working.

Me: “But of course, maybe a little interview would round out the project. Next time I’m in town, if I have the time, we can do it!”

Of course I will never need an interview, hope not to do one, and pray she quits before I return once more.

No comments: