Wednesday, August 25, 2010

YOU CAN HAVE YOUR CAKE, BUT YOU CAN’T EAT IT, TOO!

You travel all the way from Italy on a boat, the boat hits another boat, your boat sinks, and for what, a lousy piece of cake?

And so it happened. The Princess of Foxwoods Points, the lovely Patrizia, celebrating her birthday had just that experience! (See: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 blogue)

But, before I go on, let me ‘splain, as Ricky Ricardo used to say. TLW (The Little Woman), the quiet one, the one that I accuse of never laughing, of no sense of humor, decided to step out of character and play a little trick on her buddy Pat from the Wanna-Be Bank and Truss Company. It was Pat’s birthday, and TLW decided to trick Pat, but let the whole department at the Wanna-Be bank in on it. TLW decided to make Pat a cake, a sponge cake for her birthday. Notice I didn’t say: “bake”, I said make.



So off to the Auto Discount store she goes, to purchase her “cake” supplies. “Auto Discount store cake supplies”? You think to yourself, “Surely Joe Bob, you mean, grocery store?!

Well I say two things to you:
1) Don’t call me Joe Bob and…
B) That’s right, auto store.

With loving care, TLW puts together a masterpiece of deception, a work of art, lovingly putting the finished touches on the corner with icing, giggling as she does.

You see folks: that was real sponge, the type you use to wash your car with!

And so the big day arrived. Patrizia was called into the Wanna-Be bank and Truss Co.’s kitchen, where you can find all the employees at lunchtime, while you are on line waiting for a teller. Ceremonially, Pat is given a knife to cut the ‘cake’. Like a Samurai Warrior praying to the gods, she raises the knife to cut. Slicing through the pink frosting with sprinkles (Did I say slicing? I meant pushing) she attempts to cut a slice. The knife goes nowhere! Once again she tries, with a little more vigor to separate the end of the cake from the body. Still no good comes from her attempts. A third attempt prompts her to start to apologize to the crowd and TLW. Finally someone tells her it is a sponge cake. She doesn’t get it! They explain it, she still doesn’t get it, and meanwhile the laughter is starting to ripple throughout the gathered crowd of well wishers and conspirators.



In exasperation, Theresa, her boss has the cake turned over to show the sponge. She still doesn’t get it!

They are all hoping by the next day, she will have at least cut her first piece.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could make excuses for my not
realizing what everyone is laughing
at. Like I wasn't expecting that
from TLW but I'll be a big girl
about it and admit I totally missed
the joke. And a great surprise
it was for me. I think everyone
had a great laugh over it including me.
You should have been there Joe.
It was a great birthday!!! Pat

Anonymous said...

Oh, thanks for not revealing my age
of 21 "again". I appreciate that.