Thursday, August 12, 2010

YOU CAN TAKE THE RETIRE OUT OF THE MAN, BUT YOU CAN’T TAKE THE MAN OUT OF THE RETIRE!

This past Sunday afternoon, TLW (The Little Woman) and I were going to a funeral parlor to say goodbye to a wonderful man who had passed on, too soon in life. We had decided that we would go to the funeral during the afternoon, and afterward, go to dinner.

As I sat watching what the Mets were trying to call a ballgame, I noticed that TLW had changed her clothes to a more dressed look. TLW asked when we were leaving.

“I am waiting for you!”
“Oh no, you are not going in those jeans.”
“I’m not!”
“No, you should show some respect for the dead.”
“OK, for him I’ll do it, but I won’t be happy.”

Let’s face it, once you start wearing jeans, everyday, you love them, and don’t want to change into more formal attire. It is bad enough when I have to visit a client: I wear a suit and tie, funerals too?

When we got to the wake, I notice everyone was dressed nice. No one was dressed in Jeans, and TLW reminded me of that. In fact there was only one person dressed worse than me for a funeral in the whole place!

We approached the casket and paid our respects and then visited with the widow, who was dressed nicely, and some of my friends who were there. The chitchat was about the deceased, his life and achievements, and his final hours.

At dinner, TLW says: “I remember when your Mother would chastise your Father for dressing like a slob, now here I am doing it too!” (I sense bitterness)

Me: “Well, you know how I love to wear jeans now, since I retired. I just think people are getting less formal these days.”

Her: “That doesn’t mean you HAVE to, also!”

Me: “No, but if you noticed, the funeral we went to a number of years ago, the departed wore a New Jersey Devils jacket in the casket!”

Her: “Yes, that was the first time I ever saw that!”

Me: “Well this is the first time I noticed the deceased in a golf hat, collared shirt, and holding a rosary, While I dressed up!”

No comments: