Wednesday, April 04, 2012

LOSING IT


The problem with getting old is that sometimes your memory doesn’t recall immediately, it kicks in too late.
Furinstance:

Recently we went to Philadelphia and brought along my Kindle Fire to read at night. As you know, a Kindle Fire is a device that downloads books from Amazon.com and you can either buy e-books from Amazon or borrow from your local library to use on you Kindle. Like this writer, It also needs to be recharged. But instead of donuts or Jack Daniel Manhattans, you plug it into a recharger that then plugs into your wall.

We came home and I continued to use my Kindle until one night when it displayed it was down to 15% power left in the battery.

I don’t like it when electronics tell me what to do. TLW (The Little Woman) tells me what to do, but she’s been doing that for years and I listen because my four sisters and mother told me I have to listen to her. Dad said not to try NOT listening, because wives can then stop cooking, lose your underwear or worst, hide the remote!

So in a panic I began a one-day search for my charger, not telling TLW, but just looking frantically, like someone had taken my dinner or something. In resignation, I go on the web and order a new charger, which will take ten days to arrive by mail. Resigned I went back to hard covered books until it arrived.

The next morning after ordering the charger, I mentioned it to TLW.

“Oh Joe!”

“It’s not a big deal, it only costs a few bucks, and if you forget about shipping, you can overcome your consternation.”

I go into the kitchen and remember having charged it in there.

“You know Toots, I had it right here!” I thought I did anyway.”

“What color was it?” she responded.

“Black.” I was beginning to feel ill.

“Look in the drawer in the foyer, I thought it was a charger for my phone!”

There it was, wrapped neatly, in the drawer!


No comments: