Saturday, November 10, 2012

NO GREATER TRIBUTE

-->


There is no greater tribute you can give a man, than to remember him. There are no greater moments than those you share with those you love, and no greater gift can you receive than the gift of love.

If there is one man I can say truthfully fills the bill in all three mentioned above, it is my brother-in-law John. For over 50 years he has been there for me, whenever I needed him. He was an asset in life to all his family, and all of us loved him. He never knew the word ‘No’ and yet was prudent, judicious and sensible in his choices. When he first appeared there was an instant chemistry that seemed to transfer over to the entire family like an electric current. He fit, was one of us, we were part of his life too.

There are loses in one’s life that are immeasurable, far too great to fully comprehend when they occur and far too devastating as they happen. Losing a person that has no enemies: always was ready to jump in and help and always made you feel welcomed, needed and treated like royalty were only his minor assets. His biggest and most profound was the innate love in his heart for all he met. It was genuine and sincere; it was the model that I looked to, from that day 50 years ago when I first noticed the kind Polish fellow that came to the door for the first time.

If you have read this blog in the past, you know how I feel about people and the fact that we don’t eulogize them with platitudes when they pass, but celebrate them while they live. Type in “John” in the search and you will read many times what I thought of him while he was alive. Here is the funny thing: he is still alive! He is alive in his children, in his wife, in the hearts of us all: he can never die while we are alive.

We can commit his body to God and the earth, but God has committed John to our earthly hearts for all our being. He reached down from heaven one day almost 74 years ago and gave us John, the shining example of love.

To Theresa, Laurie Ann, John, Jennifer, to Gerard and Stephen, Sean and Nicholas: I will take time myself and cry the tears of loneliness, for you and the rest of my family, but we need not cry for John, his suffering is over, he came and went in this world, leaving all our lives in better shape than before he appeared, THAT is his living legacy. His pain although severe in the end, never encroached his spirit of love.

Vi amiamo il mio fratello Polacco!
We love you,  my Polish brother!


3 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

I find comfort in the words of Henry Scott Holland, and being a man of words, I hope you do too, my friend.

"Whatever we were to each other, that we still are. Call me by my old familiar name. Speak to me in the easy way which you always used. Play, smile, think of me. All is well.”

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

So beautifully true! Thank you Jim, that sentiment can only come from you too!

Michele DePalo said...

Beautiful words....both of you.