Tuesday, July 01, 2014

IT GETS UGLY!

-->
I win an award for the agency!
Probably the worst feeling you can have in your career is to be connected to a scandal of someone elses making. It is bitter, causes anger and saddens, but when it happens early on in your career, it is horrendous to your sense of stability.

Having worked so hard on the Lufthansa account, as part of the team and following all the protocols of creative cooperation, I was rewarded with my own account, American Airlines. Since we owned a small staff of people under 30 in numbers, it was easier for me to handle one account and my boss the other.

My first encounter with the client representing American Airlines (AA) was at a staff meeting in our conference room. He was a well-dressed handsome man in his mid fifties, and seemed kind of unctuous to me. He had a Spanish first name and a
Waspy last name, with a full head of thick silver and blond hair, wore expensive cuff links and well tailored suits. He was in charge of this multi-million dollar enterprise for the airline and we were but a part of it.

Along with the agency were a type house, a few printing firms and other businesses such as retouching and conversion processes that had to support my efforts. Things were running very smoothly, when all of a sudden, there is a meeting with the big boss about the account, calling all the staff of the agency together, via a memo. That morning I had heard somewhere a vague reference to the airline on the news, but since it was such a big corporation, I paid little attention. There was no reason for me to be suspicious of anything, I had met in their offices and they met in mine for meetings so there was no cause for concerns. The working was flowing. So what was the meeting for?

The Chairman stood at the front of the room and addressed us all, his ever-present cigar in his hand, he started by telling us that the Federal Government had indicted the agency and him in particular. He said that an indictment was not in itself a statement of guilt but a request to appear in a trial, one that would be conducted before a grand jury! Furthermore, all work on the AA account was suspended permanently! I remember feeling the crush in my chest and the feeling that somehow I was betrayed.

It turned out that the client had put pressure on my agency and all the other suppliers of services, extorting huge paydays, or else he would pull the account and we would all lose millions of dollars! One of the printers had blown the whistle and got the Feds involved. When they went to arrest him, he was long gone, with a nice fat fortune and his girlfriend secretary, to Portugal where no one could touch him.

Of course this became a huge black mark on the reputation of the agency, the boss himself and caused the agency to start its descent into oblivion, it was time for me to move on.

No comments: