Wednesday, July 30, 2014

GOD’S QUIET LITTLE ACRE


Everyone should have a place to go for contemplation and meditation or prayer. For me there are a number of them not far from where I live, but my favorite is right behind my library. There I visit usually in the autumn: when the humidity is lessening and the days are filled with warm sunshine and beautiful crisp breezes that caress your face and sooth your soul. There are flowers still blooming, and trees and bushes of every kind, with nametags to tell you what they are. As you walk the manicured paths, it is, a meandering walkway filled with surprises at each turn, it is my church away from church. No collections, rituals or homilies, just God’s beautiful creation, and I know then why I truly believe in Him.


I usually take a sketchpad and sit along the walkways on a bench in the shade, and study the rays of light the sun so freely sends through the trees, and I can’t help but feel good. Little children are at play, usually little girls as their mothers watch, and as the moms’ sit on the park benches, the children draw on the pavement, creating super works of art in colorful chalks.

On the best day of the whole year in July no less, I had the time to go and make an early visit. It is funny how your brain can surrender to nature, once it has your full attention. It is good to be quiet, and think about all that is good in your life. Watching the little girls as they drew and giggled, called out and shouted with glee, it reminded me of something beautiful, my little granddaughter, Darby Shea, La Principessa.  Soon she will be just like them, giggling, drawing and being sweet and playful, and her grandpa will love it.

Recently I lost my mother, and with a lot of whirlwind and unnecessary strife, it was good to sit and just talk to her, and to even have a conversation with my dad and son, as they sit up there and wait.

The rest of this year will be filled with new things, now places and new traditions, as I am breaking away from the past and living for the future. The kids are out of the house, Mom and Dad are gone and there is a new child in our lives to celebrate, and so I will. I will remember yesterday, dream for tomorrow today.

No comments: