Friday, July 18, 2014

THAT’S WHAT I DO

-->
We all have dreams and secret ambitions. From childhood we harbor ideas of fame and maybe even fortune or glory until we become old, and I am no different. That is not to say I am strange, but in this particular case, I am different.

My dream is to be able to sing. I love to sing to myself, and during the course of driving my daughter to my home and back to hers, I sing both ways, out loud and with great emotion. My daughter sits in the back seat and gives her approval, usually laughing out loud, clapping her hands and smiling, as long as the song I attempt is upbeat and happy. Being she has developmental disabilities, I try to make her feel as happy as possible, and this seems to work.

I have also starred in the shower, yes, giving renditions of arias, and sacred songs from way back, the water cascading down over my head like the roar at La Scala. My daughter won’t let me sing them in the car, but somewhere else where she won’t hear it is fine with her.

Another venue to sing is when I’m cooking, usually singing old Italian/American songs from my childhood. I used to sing to my kids as babies, until they were old enough to take retribution. Of course these songs were fun songs, some of it was made up, some of it was from Lou Monte and songs like Peppino the Italian Mouse. http://search.yahoo.com/search?type=63641&fr=freecause&ei=utf-8&p=Peppino%20The%20Little%20Mouse I taught #1 Son history with songs about Columbus and Washington crossing the Delaware, with an Italian accent.

Growing up, both Mom and Dad would sing out loud, and Dad did his often while in the car driving off to work or to do a chore, with his Sinatra and Como voices while Mom did hers cleaning the house and cooking. Often she would sing something of an answer if we were complaining or she wanted to tease us.

Mom would sing songs she learned as a kid: songs so old that I don’t think you can find them anymore in a recorded fashion, since they were pre-TV. You may have heard these songs on the Mitch Miller show, or if you were a nerd, the Lawrence Welk Show. I HAPPENED TO LIKE WELK AND WILL ADMIT TO IT: THERE I CAME OUT OF THE CLOSET!

I guess singing can lift the spirit and sooth the soul, whether you do it or someone else does. The beauty of music is that it takes you back to a time and place, or a certain feeling you had for someone once upon a time.

Whistling is another form of singing, and Dad loved to whistle, often when he had something on his mind, he would whistle, in the car mostly. Funny how the car is a safe haven to do things like singing and whistling! Babies love music, and so do adults, friends and enemies all hold one thing in common: an enjoyment to music and sometimes singing.

I’m willing to bet all of you have a song that takes you back. ‘Moon River’-my high school graduation, ‘Memories Are Made of This’ leaving Brooklyn and moving to the Island, ‘Catch A Falling Star’- My grandfather’s death. These are just a few.

And here is the song that played while I was madly in love and on the top of the charts during my engagement, and was chosen for our wedding song.


It's impossible, tell the sun to leave the sky
It's just impossible
It's impossible, ask a baby not to cry
It's just impossible

Can I hold you closer to me
And not feel you going through me
Split the second that I never think of you
Oh, how impossible

Can the ocean keep from rushing to the shore
It's just impossible
If I had you, could I ever want for more
It's just impossible

And tomorrow
Should you ask me for the world, somehow I'd get it
I would sell my very soul and not regret it
For to live without your love
It's just impossible

Can the ocean keep from rushing to the shore
It's just impossible
If I had you, could I ever want for more
It's just impossible

And tomorrow
Should you ask me for the world, somehow I'd get it
I would sell my very soul and not regret it
For to live without your love
It's just impossible
Impossible, mmm
Impossible 

No comments: