Wednesday, July 09, 2014

LIFE IS FILLED WITH ODDITIES


Today is TLW (The Little Woman’s) birthday. She has reached the ripe old age of 39 and looks good for her age. That is because she is married to me. Please don’t make any cracks about her robbing the cradle; after all, she couldn’t resist me.

We have been a team going on 44 years of marriage, and aside from an occasional disagreement, have learned she is right and if she isn’t, she still is right, just from the sheer weight of my incompetence.

The decision-making has been split down the middle. She worries about the less important things like the household budget, raising the kids and how we spend the money, I decide on the important things like if we should recognize Red China, or how we stand on international trade agreements.

We are just one year and three days apart in our birthdays, and what she does for me makes it easy for me to know what to do for her. She forgets my birthday: well then I can forget hers, which is very hard for me to do. She has never forgotten mine for sure.
This is really a part of a gang of questionables.
But you know we are getting old when she says: “Joe, why don’t we go out for our birthdays, but NO presents, OK?” Yes that is what happens when we get older. Will I listen to her? Who knows?

She has been giving me a present everyday of our marriage: Four children, she is there when she knows I could use a lift, or just a kind word, and even a cup of tea. When the storm clouds open, there she is, right next to me, sometimes in front of me, we are never alone.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOOTS! 

Life is good when you are there.

Love that old guy you live with!

2 comments:

Diana said...

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELLEN! ENJOY, (and take that present! LOL!!) <3

Michele DePalo said...

Wish her a happy birthday from Nick and me.